Party like there’s no tomorrow at the Full Moon Party, Koh Phangan!
You probably have heard of many legendary stories of the Full Moon Party. Haad Rin in Koh Phangan, where the Full Moon Party takes place, is one of the most famous party-beach towns in the world with Spain Ibiza and Greece Mykonos. This massive party is held every month around the full moon night, and thousands of people come from all over the world to experience this crazy party and dance all night long. For many people, this party is the main reason to visit Thailand.
While there are other similar parties called Half Moon Party and Black Moon Party, but nothing can compete with the original Full Moon Party when it comes to having a night of your life. After all, what’s not to love about a night of partying at the beach, not just the party, the most epic party in the world! If you decided to head to the Full Moon Party, here’s a guide on how to prepare and what to expect.
1. When is the Full Moon Party 2018
- SUNDAY 29 APRIL 2018.
- WEDNESDAY 30 MAY 2018.
- WEDNESDAY 27 JUNE 2018.
- SUNDAY 29 JULY 2018.
- SUNDAY 26 AUGUST 2018.
- MONDAY 24 SEPTEMBER 2018.
- THURSDAY 25 OCTOBER 2018.
- THURSDAY 22 NOVEMBER 2018.
- SATURDAY 22 DECEMBER 2018.
- TUESDAY 25 DECEMBER 2018.
- MONDAY 31 DECEMBER 2018.
There will be 3 Full Moon Parties in December and the New Year’s Eve Party is especially well known for its wildness as there are even more people gathering to celebrate the New Year. 😁
2. Where to stay for the Full Moon Party
While some of you may think of partying all night and sleeping on the beach, it is really not that smart thing to do. Because it is not safe obviously, and you will need a comfy bed to sleep in for the hangover on the next day.
There are basically 2 options for accommodation. Either you can stay at Koh Phangan, or at Koh Samui. Since the Full Moon Party is at Koh Phangan, it will make things easier for you to stay there. But the thing is it is almost impossible to find an accommodation during the event. And even if you find one, the price is ridiculously overpriced during the party.
That’s why it is recommended to stay at Koh Samui and take a speedboat to Koh Phangan. There are 3 main reasons why it is better to stay at the Koh Samui.
- There are more options for accommodations in Koh Samui.
- For the same hotel rate, it is cheaper to stay in Koh Samui and take a speedboat than staying at Koh Phangan.
- There are speedboats every hour between Koh Samui and Koh Phangan during the Full Moon Party. And it only takes 20 mins to travel between the islands.
If you are staying at Koh Samui and want to book a round-trip speedboat to Koh Phangan, click here.
3. How to get to the Full Moon Party
There are a few ways to approach the Full Moon Party. As many people start their trip from Bangkok, we will explain how to get to the full moon party from Bangkok.
The Full Moon Party is held at Koh Phangan. To get here you need to take a ferry (or speedboat). You can either take the ferry from Surat Thani or take a speedboat from Koh Samui. If you’re staying at Koh Phangan, you can go straight from Surat Thani to Koh Phangan. But as explained above, it is better to stay at Koh Samui and take a round-trip speedboat to Koh Phangan. Plus, you will have more time to enjoy the beautiful Koh Samui. Click here to check out the things to do in Koh Samui.
- Recommended route
- Bangkok – Surat Thani – Koh Samui – Koh Phangan
- Bangkok – Koh Samui – Koh Phangan
1-1) From Bangkok to Surat Thani
|Price (avg.)||650 baht||900 baht||600 baht|
There are sleeping train and sleeping bus options available, but the flight is the best option as it’s cheap and the fastest.
1-2) From Surat Thani to Koh Samui
|Price (avg.)||500 baht|
There is no speedboat option for this route as the distance is too far for the speedboat.
2-1) From Bangkok to Koh Samui
|Price (avg.)||4,500 baht|
This is the fastest way to get to the party but also the most expensive way. That’s why many people choose to fly to Surat Thani and take a ferry to Koh Samui instead of flying directly to Koh Samui.
2-2) From Koh Samui to Koh Phangan
|Price (avg.)||650 baht|
There are regular and VIP options for the speedboat. As there will be tons of people waiting to get on a speedboat, it is better to take a VIP option and skip the queue for boarding even if it’s a few more bucks.
Speedboats that connect both islands come every hour and you can book a transfer service from your hotel in Koh Samui to the Full Moon Party here. Click the link below for more details.
4. How to party smart at the Full Moon Party (Survival Tips)
– Bucket drink: This literally means plastic buckets filled up with booze. If you want to enjoy the party smartly, one bucket should be enough for you because they are really strong, and you don’t want to pass out before the party even starts.
– Wear proper shoes: Flip flops or barefoot are not a good idea because there are chances you cut your foot on broken beer bottles. Sneakers and trainers are good choices.
– Watch your personal belongings: First of all, bring as little as possible. All you need are enough money for drinks and your room key. Leave everything else in your room.
– Do not attempt the jump rope: You will see some people skipping a rope with fire. Many people get burned by doing this. Be sure to stay out of it.
– Do not do drugs: There are high chances that you will be offered drugs at the party. But be aware that Thailand has strict penalties for using drugs. Also, it is well known that undercover police will try to sell you drugs only to arrest you or to take a bribe. You will still have an amazing time without drugs, just stay out of it.
– Stay hydrated: It’s hot and humid, and you’ll be drinking a lot – be sure you’re drinking enough water between alcohol. It will help you to have a less brutal hangover next day.
Last but not least, don’t forget to visit Trazy.com for more travel tips and ideas for your next trip to Thailand!