Jeju Island is a beautiful island, but it’s not easy to get around because there is no subway or train. If this is your first-time travel to Jeju Island in Korea, you will feel even more lost and struggle for sure.
For first-time visitors to Jeju Island, consider this your transportation guide!
How to get around Jeju island?
In Jeju Island, there are various types of transportation options- bus, taxi, car, motorcycle/scooters and bikes– and each type offers its own unique travel experiences.
Since there are no trains or subway in Jeju Island, buses and taxis are the two main public transportation on the island.
1. By Bus
In Jeju Island, there are inner (intra-city) and outer (intercity) city buses and Airport Limousine Bus and these buses cover almost all of Jeju Island.
Taking these are the most economical way to get around the island. However, you do have to go through an inconvenience like long intervals that can be time-consuming.
All buses accept cash or Seoul’s T-money transit card, but we recommend using the T-money card for the fare because you can transfer twice within 60 mins, each within 30 mins, for free.
A. Intra-city Bus & Low floor Bus
Intra-city buses run only within Jeju City and Seogwipo City. Since intra-city bus stops at all bus stops, the interval is usually around 30 mins to 1 hour. This means you have to wait a long time for the next bus. This is the reason why they are more likely used by local residents than travelers.
However, if you do take this bus, the flat fare costs 1,200 won for all destinations and the fare for middle/high school students is 900 won and for elementary school students and younger is 400 won.
Following are the intra-city bus routes and their major stops:
- 10 (Jeju Nat’l Univ(JNU)-Gwangyang-Hamdeok)
- 92 (Jeju High School-DaeU Daerim Apt.-Int’l Port)
- 100 (Halla College-Bus Terminal-Jungangro-Samyang1dong)
- 500 (Halla College-Jungang Rotary-JNU)
- 502 (Halla College-Jeju Bus Terminal-JNU(Wolpyeong))
- 300 (Halla Arboretum-Airport-Terminal-Airport-Halla Arboretum)
You can also find low-floor buses in Jeju Island, which operate in Jeju City and Seogwipo City only. These buses have no steps between one or more entrance and are to minimize inconvenience for the weak and elderly for the elderly and people with disabilities (in wheelchairs for example).
B. Intercity Bus
Intercity buses run between the intercity bus terminals of Jeju city and Seogwipo via numbers of different routes. These buses make several stops, including major tourist attractions, but not at every stop like the intra-city bus does.
The base fare is 1,300 KRW and is surcharged by distance. The interval is around 20 mins. For travelers and tourists, taking the intercity bus is a better option.Bus No. 701 runs every 20 mins (Jeju – Sehwa – Sungsan – Seogwi) – for looking around east JejuBus No. 702 runs every 20 mins (Jeju – Hallim – Daejung – Seogwipo) – for looking around west JejuBus No. 780 runs every 10~15 mins (Jeju – Sungpanak – Seogwi – World cup stadium – Jungmun – Jeju) – circulates Jeju island in a circle
*From August 26, 2017, Jeju Island will have a new and improved bus system.
Summary of the main changes in Jeju Island’s bus system
Check out the summary of the changes to Jeju Island’s new bus system highlighted below:
1. Cheaper bus fare:
- Basic fare will be set at 1,200 KRW (1,150 KRW for rechargeable bus card or T-money card holders)
- Express bus fares: 2,000 to 4,000 KRW per person, per trip
- The time for transferring the buses without an extra charge will be extended from 30 mins to 40 mins. You will be able to transfer a maximum of two times per fare.
2. Express route operation:
- 12 express bus routes will be established to link the airport, bus terminal, and new transfer bus stops.
- Bus routes (Road name, road number (number of routes)): Ilju noseon, 1132 (2); Pyeonghwa-ro, 1135 (2); Beonyoung-ro, 97 (2); Namjo-ro, 1118 (1); Bijarim-ro, 1112 (3); 5․16 Road, 1131 (2).
- Fare: 2,000 won will be charged for the first 20 km. An extra 500 won will be charged per 5 km after that up to a maximum fare of 4,000 won.
- If you pay using cash, the maximum fare of 4,000 won will be charged.
3. Overall system reform and simplification:
- 644 routes to 149 routes
- Jeju Island will be divided into four regions; Northeast (Jocheon, Gujwa), Northwest (Aewol, Hanlim, Hangyeong), Southeast (Namwon, Pyoseon, Seongsan), Southwest (Andeok, Daejeong). There will be 45 bus routes that run in these areas.
4. Increased number of buses: 530 to 797
5. Free WiFi
6. New design:
- New number system will identify the type of bus, departing stop, final stop, and bus route.
- Types of bus will be numbered as follows: Express bus (100), Main line bus (200), Jeju City main line bus (300), Jeju City feeder line bus (400), Seogwipo main line bus (500), Seogwipo feeder line bus (600), Rural routes (700).
- Each bus will have a certain color depending on the type of bus.
7. Two new trunk routes
- New routes will be established between the main tourist attractions on the east and west coast.
- Origin destination: Daecheon (East), Donggwang (West). The bus will run at 30 minute intervals and there will be a tour guide on each bus.
- Eastern region main stops: Geomun Oreum ↔ Dongbaekdongsan Wetland ↔ Bijarim Forest ↔ Darangshi Oreum ↔ Songdang Village
- Western region main stops: Shinhwa World ↔ Osulloc Tea Museum ↔ Jeju Museum of Contemporary Art ↔ Jeju Gotjawal Provincial Park
2017 Jeju Island Express and Trunkline Bus Route Map
C. Airport Limousine Bus (No. 600)
The No. 600 Airport Limousine circulates between the Jeju International Airport, Jungmun Complex and Seogwipo every 18~20 minutes and the final stop is Seogwipo KAL Hotel. The whole route takes about 80 mins.
Jeju Intl. Airport → Jeju Sun Hotel → Grace Hotel → Jungmun Tourist Complex·Yeomiji Botanical Garden Entrance → Kensington Jeju Hotel → Hyatt Regency Jeju → The Shilla Hotel → The Suites Hotel → Hotel Hana → Lotte Hotel → HANKOOK Condominium → JEJU TOURISM ORGANIZATION→ Seas Hotel & Resort → Jeju Intl. Convention Center (ICC)·Jungmun Daepo Jusangjeolli Cliffs → Daepo Port → Yakcheonsa → Wolpyeong Village → Gangjeong Nonghyup → Kensington Resort Akgeuncheon → Seogeondo →Jeju World Cup Stadium → New Kyungnam Hotel → Seogwipo Wharf →Seobok Exhibition Hall → Paradise Hotel Entrance → Seogwipo KAL Hotel
■ Turnaround Time
- Airport~Jungmun Tourism Complex: 50 mins
- Airport~Seogwipo KAL Hotel: 80 mins
■ Bus Fare and Timetable
- Jeju International Airport: First Bus 06:20, Last Bus 22:00 (18~20 min intervals)
- Seogwipo New Kyungnam Hotel: First Bus 06:20, Last Bus 21:50
- Late-night Limousine Bus departs from Jeju International Airport (in front of Gate 5) at 22:50
- Airport~Yeomiji Botanical Garden Entrance: 4,500 won
- Airport~Gangjeong, Punglim, Jeju World Cup Stadium: 5,000 won
- Airport~Seogwipo New Kyungnam Hotel, Seogwipo KAL Hotel: 5,500 won
For middle/high school students the bus fare costs 20% off the regular fare and 50% off the regular fare for elementary school students.
※You can purchases the ticket at the airport stands, Sinjeju ticket office, and the New Kyungnam Hotel ticket office.
Other bus options in Jeju Island:
A. Jeju Island Golden City Tour Bus
In Jeju Island, there is a hop-on and hop-off city tour bus called Jeju Island Golden City Tour Bus. Travelers can hop on and off at various stops, many of which are located near tourist attractions. The city tour bus runs from 8:00 am to 8:50 pm. See the map of Jeju Golden Bus City Tour route here.
It’s a simple and yet convenient way to travel around the island at a reasonable price. You can purchase Jeju Golden Bus City Tour One-day Pass here.
B. Jeju 1 Day Bus Tour
Another great option is to join Jeju 1 Day Bus Tour that runs in 3 different routes. You can easily visit some of the best attractions in Jeju Island by taking this tour, and lunch will be provided. To book the tour, click here.
2. By taxi
If the bus system in Jeju is too complicated and you don’t have an international driver’s license, taking the taxi can be a great option. The basic fare starts from 2,200~3,800 KRW depending on the vehicle of the taxi. From 12:00am to 4:00am, there is a surcharge, 20% added to the basic fare.Taking a taxi on the middle of the road in Jeju Island can be frustrating and tiresome, so our advice is to call a taxi (1,000 KRW but it’s better to ask the fee when calling a taxi) or hire a taxi for a day.Hiring a taxi is definitely recommended to those who are looking for a convenient and comfortable ride throughout the day and a personalized, free and easy tour. Book Jeju Taxi online here.
3. By car
For those who have an international driver’s license, renting a car is the best option to look around the island’s major attractions and natural landscape. It allows you to reach destinations in Jeju Island that are difficult to reach by using public transportation.
4. By motorcycle or scooter
Want some thrills and speed? If you have international driver’s license, rent a motorcycle or a scooter! You can find several rental shops around the Jeju International Airport.
5. By bike
Cycling along the breathtaking coastal roads and forests sure is a great way to explore Jeju Island.If you don’t have international driver’s license, renting a bike can be an alternative and it’s highly recommended to couples and solo travelers. Bike rental is available here.
Browse our collection of the best transport deals for Jeju Island. Choose the right one according to your travel group!
Traveling with your family or your travel buddies? Consider these your options!
A. Hire a Private Driver & Van
You can freely write a list of destinations you want to visit and customize your itinerary by taking this tour. Booking is available here.If your group only needs a transportation that provides a pick-up service from Jeju Aiport to your desired destination, check out the private van or mini bus transfer service.
B. Join a Small Group Van Tour
Similar to the private van tour, a small group van tour can be another great option for a group of travelers and tourists from 2 to 9 people.
The small group van tour is more affordable and inexpensive than the private tours. Plus, you can meet other travelers join the tour. Booking is available here.
Those who want to make a day trip from Seoul and Jeju Island, make sure you check out Seoul to Jeju Island Flight & Hotel Package.Find this Jeju Island transportation guide helpful? Discover all the latest things to do in Jeju Island at Trazy.com, Korea’s #1 Travel Shop, today!