Survival Tip: How to Get an Alien Registration Card in Seoul


Why do I need to get an alien registration card?

– To stay in Korea for more than 90 days, all foreigners must apply for a foreign registration card.

It can be your ID card in Korea. You might need your ID card in many situations like buying a Wi-Fi egg, getting a medical insurance benefits, etc.

*If you are under the age of 17, you can get an Alien Registration card on your own or simply get recorded on your parent’s card.

How to apply for the card:

  1. Prepare your passport, a color photograph and go to Immigration Office.
  2. Submit the documents and pay the fee for application.
  3. Once an application has been processed, an alien registration card will be issued within 2 weeks.
  4. The card is valid for one year, after which it will need to be renewed.

+ The card must be returned to the immigration office when leaving the country permanently.

Don’t forget to bring:

  • Application forms (It is placed at the immigration office.)
  • Passport
  • 2 color photographs (3cm×4cm, front view of the face on white background, taken within the past 6 months)
  • Fee in cash (10,000 KRW)

*Additional documents are needed if you fall into any of these categories of visa. Click here for more info.

Getting a new card & Reissuing the card:

It usually takes around 3 or 4 days to get your new card.

But if the alien registration card is lost, stolen, damaged or there are any changes made on the details recorded on the card, you can reissue the card. However, you must apply for the reissuance within 14 days.

Locations of Immigration Office:

*Make sure you know which area you’re living in and visit the office that covers your area of residency.

1) Omokyo Office: Covers the areas of Seoul excluding Jongno-gu, Jung-gu, Eunpyeong-gu, Dongdaemun-gu, Jungnang-gu, Dobong-gu, Seongbuk-gu, Gangbuk-gu, Nowon-gu)

Address: 151, Mokdongdong-ro, Yangcheon-gu, Seoul, Korea

(About 15 mins by foot from subway line 5 Mokdong or Omokgyo Station)

2) Sejongno Office:  Covers Jongno-gu, Jung-gu, Eunpyeong-gu, Dongdaemun-gu, Jungnang-gu, Dobong-gu, Seongbuk-gu, Gangbuk-gu, Nowon-gu

Address: SK Hub Bldg. 2F, 89-4, Gyeongundong, Jongno-gu, Seoul

(About 5 mins by foot from subway line 1 Jonggak Station exit 5)

Alien Card Registration Tips!

  1. Just get your photo and photocopying done at the office. There is a photo studio booth at the office and it might be cheaper than the usual photo studios.
  2. You’ll need to wait around 3 hours or more.
  3. Make sure you know the exact address of where you stay so that you visit the right office.
  4. Make sure you have EXACT change in cash! (around 30,000-40,000KRW)
  5. If you go later in the day and end up staying after closing, be aware that you might have to return the next day for fingerprinting.

Welcome to Korea!



  1. It doesn’t require health certificate? I heard it needs one…I’m going to Seoul for study this sept 4th…and I’m planning to get arc ASAP so I can make bank account. If it doesn’t require health certificate then I’m good to go.. 😊

  2. 5 months remaining on my Alien registration card and i need to travel urgently. do I need to wait for 14 days or there’s emergency way. Thank you

  3. Actually it sounds very easy, and thats scary somehow hahaha Im going to Korea in October. I dont require a visa as I hold a peruvian passport and I can stay 90 days, but I want to stay more since my desire is to live there. Any help for me? Any advice would be great

    1. Hello Aminata.
      Our advice is to consult the Korean embassy in your area to see if there’s any requirements for you to extend your stay once you get to Korea! 🙂

    1. The alien registration card can only be applied for at the Immigration Office that has jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence in Korea. Hope this answers your question. 🙂

    1. The alien registration card is required for those who want to stay over 90 days in Korea. With a tourist visa, you are allowed to stay in Korea up to 30 days only and thus you must have another visa type in order to be eligible for the issuance of alien registration card. Hope this answers your question:)

      1. I can stay for 90 days visa free as a tourists.
        I want the registration card to make a bank account in korea and I want to apply for residency. So is it still possible?.

        1. With a tourist visa, it is not possible for you to make an alien registration card. You must apply for a long-term visa if you want to make the alien registration card. Hope this info helps! 🙂

  4. Can you go to immigration without an appointment and just wait till there is a free time? My appointment is 2 weeks later, but it’s a long time to wait for the ARC to get phone, internet etc connected.

    1. Hello cyrusb! Regarding your question, there are offices that you can visit without making an appointment and offices that require an appointment. Please call +82-1345 to check which offices don’t require an appointment before you visit. 🙂

      1. Ah ha. I thought I could only go to Omokgyo, because I’m staying in Gwangjin gu. I didn’t realize I could ask for other places, is that right?

      2. Thank you. I called 1345 but they said that Omokgyo requires an appointment and if I go to another office, they won’t accept my documents. Good to check it out anyway. The only thing that will make it a little faster is to go a bit earlier in the day and if lucky, your number comes up quicker than the scheduled appointment time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s