About Seoraksan National Park
Blessed with spectacular scenery of dramatic peaks, deep valleys, jagged ridges, Seoraksan National Park, also referred to as Mount Seorak, offers stunning landscapes all year round and gorgeous trails, making it an ideal destination for hikers and nature lovers.Located in Gangwon Province, you can reach the national park within 3 hours from Seoul.
While Seoraksan National Park spans across 4 cities and counties, Sokcho, Goseong, Yangyang and Inje, the park can be divided mainly into two areas – OeSeorak; Outer Seorak and NaeSeorak; Inner Seorak.
First-time traveling to Seoraksan National Park?
For first-time travelers, visiting OeSeorak is highly recommended. It is more recognized than NaeSeorak because of its overall size and scale combined with the spectacular views of the surrounding landscapes.While NaeSeorak has its own charms such as small valleys and ancient temples, OeSeorak offers scenic trails featuring spectacular cliffs, scenic waterfalls and many other well-known natural wonders such as Ulsanbawi Rock, a unique rock formation composed of six granite peaks.
Plus, OeSeorak is the only place where you can try and ride a cable car in the entire national park as well.
Since the hiking trails in OeSeorak can be accomplished in few hours, it’s for sure an ideal destination for a day trip.
Best time to visit Seoraksan National Park
You can enjoy hiking in Seoraksan National Park throughout the four seasons, but spring and autumn are the best times to visit the park.
In spring, you can enjoy hiking in a mild weather and enjoy the blooms while you can capture the fantastic colorful fall foliage in autumn.Though it can be hot in the summer, the park offers lush greenery and gorgeous cascading waterfalls, especially after the rain.
For those who are not afraid of the cold, winter hiking in Seoraksan National Park is highly recommended. There are fewer crowds, so you can take your time and enjoy the view of the breathtaking scenery of snow-capped mountains.
Hiking in Seoraksan National Park
Whether you are a beginner or an expert, Seoraksan National Park has a variety of trails that will suit your needs.
※NOTE: Sogongwon Park is where the entrance of Seoraksan National Park is. It will be the starting point for all the featured trails below.
1. A Family-friendly Trail
Sogongwon Park (Entrance) ~ Gwongeumseong Fortress
- Very Easy
- 3km round-trip (2.4km by cable car + 0.6km on foot); 40 minutes without waiting time
- Cable car fee (optional)
- Adult (14yrs~): 10,000 won (round-trip)
- Child (3~13yrs): 6,000 won (round-trip)
- Highlights: A fun, exciting cable car ride up to Gwongeumseong, a stone fortress at the top of Seoraksan Mountain, which offers fascinating views of the national park.
- NOTE: The waiting line for the cable car can be long and the cable car may not operate on days with bad weather.
2. A Brisk and Easy Trail
Sogongwon Park (Entrance) ~ Biseondae Rock
- 6km round-trip; 2.5 hours
- Highlights: Sinheungsa Temple, an ancient temple with a rich history, Bronze Jwabul Statue, a 10m-high seated bronze Buddha statue and Biseondae Rock, a flat-topped rock with letters written by ancient poets.
- Note: The trail is fairly easy but has stone steps with a slight incline along the way.
3. A Breathtaking Fall Foliage Trail
Sogongwon Park (Entrance) ~ Heundeulbawi Rock
- 5.6km round-trip; 2 hours
- Highlights: Shinheungsa Temple, Bronze Jwabul Statue and Heundeulbawi Rock, a famous spherical rock located on top of a larger rock where you can try and push it!
- NOTE: This is a trail well-known for spectacular fall foliage in autumn. Usually, you can capture beautiful autumn leaves across Seoraksan National Park from mid-October until early November.
4. The Best Waterfall Trail
Sogongwon Park (Entrance) ~ Towangseong Falls Observatory
- 5.6km round-trip; 3 hours
- Highlights: Yukdam Falls, a water fall made up of 6 small waterfalls and a deep pond, Biryong Waterfall, a waterfall which looks like dragons flying up towards the sky, and Towangseong Falls, a huge, three-tiered waterfall and an observatory.
- NOTE: From Biryong Falls to Towangseong Falls Observatory, there is a 400m-long section where you have to climb up steep wooden steps.
5. A Challenging Yet Stunning Trail
Sogongwon Park (Entrance) ~ Ulsanbawi Rock
- 7.2km round-trip; 4 hours
- Highlights: Climbing up to Ulsanbawi Rock, a unique rock formation composed of six granite peaks, at an 876m high peak, where you can appreciate panoramic views of Daecheongbong, Sokcho and the East Sea.
- NOTE: Slope gets relatively steep and severe from Heundeulbawi to Ulsanbawi Rock. Hikers must climb a steep steel staircase of over 800 steps to the top of Ulsanbawi Rock.
One-Day Hiker’s Checklist
- Pick up a free map from the National Park Visitor Centre – Know where you are going! But don’t worry about getting lost as all the signs showing you distances and directions are written in Korean and English.
- Know your hiking ability – There are plenty of walks for all levels of hikers in the park.
- Prepare hiking gear – Bring your own hiking gear. If you don’t have any, shoes, hats and hiking poles are readily available at the park. But do take note that they are for Korean sizes.
For those who want to visit Seoraksan National Park and take in the best sights OeSeorak has to offer in one day, here’s a day tour offered by Trazy.com, Korea’s #1 Travel Shop.
It’s highly recommended for those who want to step back to nature away from the city and enjoy a short walk or hike!
Here are the benefits of taking Trazy’s tour to Seoraksan National Park:
- Easy & Convenient: Pick up from your hotel or nearby location of your accommodation in Seoul
- Time-saving: Direct round-trip transportation
- Great itinerary: Free time to explore on your own
- For more information, click here
Check out more tours to Seoraksan National Park and other famous destinations nearby!
Choose the tour that suits you best and book your trip today!
1. Seoraksan National Park & Daegwallyeong Sheep Farm 1 Day Tour
2. Seoraksan National Park & Nami Island 1 Day Tour
3. Seoraksan National Park & Naksansa Temple 1 Day Tour
4. Gangwon Private Van Package
For personalized day trips and custom tours, Trazy is here to help – don’t hesitate and request a quote today!
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Trazy’s Customer Service Center via LINE, Kakaotalk, or email below.
Make sure to check out Trazy.com, Korea’s #1 Travel Shop, for all the latest and trendiest things to do in South Korea!
HopeLand 넙뜩이들 설악산 나들이 via photopin (license)
cc.photoshare 설악산 단풍, by 서배이 via photopin (license)
junxdelux mountain village via photopin (license)
Zyan Nuestros fotógrafos / Our photographers / 우리 사진사 via photopin (license)
Adrian M. Krucker Great Unification Buddha in evening sunshine via photopin (license)
cc.photoshare 계곡, by DaYe Jung via photopin (license)
stacya October 12 via photopin (license)
By Steve46814 at English Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link
Seoraksan National Park Official Website
Seoraksan National Park Cable Car Official Website