Beaches, ice creams… It’s finally time to bid the long scorching summer goodbye and welcome the chilly fall weather. Famous author Jim Bishop once said, “Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons”. Throughout October and November, you can feast your eyes on lush mountains dyed with scarlet-tinged leaves in 5 breathtaking fall foliage trails in South Korea: Seoraksan National Park, Naejangsan National Park, Odaesan National Park, Songnisan National Park, and Daedunsan Mountain. These sights all offer spectacular foliage scenes and worthwhile hiking experiences. So, prepare to immerse yourself in the beauty of Autumn at the fall foliage trails we suggest!
1. Seoraksan National Park
Known for its beautiful scenery all year round, Seoraksan National Park is the starting point of fall foliage in Korea. Located in the northeast of Korea, the park spreads across Gangwon Province. It is an extremely popular hiking destination during the autumn season, with throngs of people gathering to watch the leaves change color. Around the middle of October, the foliage will reach its peak in the park, boasting magnificent views of the mountains colored yellow, reddish-gold, and orange.
- Seoraksan National Park Hiking Tour
- Seoraksan Autumn/Fall Foliage 1 Day Tour – from Seoul
- Seoraksan National Park & Sokcho Beach Autumn/Fall Foliage Tour – from Seoul
- Seoraksan National Park (+ Yongmunsa Temple) Autumn/Fall Foliage Tour – from Seoul
To enjoy the autumn tints here to the fullest, we highly recommend the following two trails:
1) Seoraksan National Park – Baekdamsa Temple
Baekdamsa Temple is one of the beloved trails you can take from Seoraksan, a very popular destination within the mountains. The trail here is narrow and winding, but it’s well worth it as it is a beautiful temple, known for its scenery that embodies an old history tracing back to the Silla kingdom (B.C.57~935). There are streams and valleys nearby as well that add more beauty to the scenery, complete with crisp blue skies and a gentle cool breeze.
2) Seoraksan National Park – Ulsanbawi
The second trail is from Seoraksan to Ulsanbawi, a massive rock standing at 876m that provides a spectacular view. Hiking up these granite peaks is no easy task, with the last section involving a steep flight of 800 steps that can be especially difficult to climb in strong winds. But don’t give up, because once you reach the summit and gaze upon the panoramic view, you’ll realize the pain and suffering were all worth it.
Besides the foliage, Seoraksan boasts colossal mountain peaks that pierce through the clouds, dense rocks, gorging valleys, and cascading waterfalls that are sure to be magnificent.
Check out Seoraksan National Park 1 Day Tour from Seoul:
- Seoraksan & Naksansa Temple 1 Day Tour
- Seoraksan & Nami Island 1 Day Tour
- Seoraksan + Nami Island + Garden of Morning Calm Tour
- Seoraksan + Alpaca World + Nami Island Tour
- Seoraksan National Park Private Tour
2. Naejangsan National Park
The next foliage destination that you could visit in South Korea is Naejangsan, located in Jeolla Province. This place is particularly famous for its vivid crimson foliage, 600-year-old nutmeg trees, and famous waterfalls such as Dodeok Falls. There are also two famous temples to explore called Baekyangsa Temple and Naejangsa Temple.
Temples, mountains, plants, animals, waterfalls … Naejangsan has an endless list of things to offer so you’ll never be bored. There are incredible views every season, such as cherry blossoms in the spring, greenery in the summer, and trees covered with snow in the winter.
- Naejangsan Mountain Autumn Foliage & Jeonju Hanok Village 1 Day Tour – from Seoul
- Korea Autumn/Fall Foliage 1 Day Tour to Mountains & National Parks – from Seoul
- Korea Autumn/Fall Foliage 1 Day Tour to Mountains & National Parks – from Busan
- Naejangsan National Park Autumn/Fall Foliage 1 Day Tour – from Seoul/Busan
3. Odaesan National Park
Known for its beautiful thick forest of fir trees, Odaesan National Park was used as a location for the hit Korean drama, “Goblin,” starring Gong Yoo and Kim Go-Eun. The nearby Woljeongsa Buddhist Temple, located in the valley east of Mount Odaesan, founded in 643, is another stunning site to take in the autumn foliage.
4. Songnisan National Park
Songnisan National Park was designated as the sixth national park in Korea. As the name of the mountain translates into ‘renounce the world’, you will forget the world once you enter Songnisan Mountain, overwhelmed by its beauty. The eight peaks are curved like arrows around Cheonwangbong (1,058m) in the south.
1) Songnisan National Park – Beopjusa Temple
Beojusa Temple, located in Songnisan National Park is a place where you can see the only traditional wooden pagoda in Korea. The five-story wooden pagoda and a majestic hanging painting reveal its greatness as an old relic. The temple was built during the Silla Dynasty and was designated as the UNESCO world heritage, recently in 2018.
5. Daedunsan Mountain
Daedunsan, at 878 meters, is known for its steep and rocky landscapes and is one of the most challenging but worthwhile mountains to climb. Characterized by large rocks and trees, the main attraction is a hair-raising suspension bridge that hangs over a deep ravine 300 meters above sea level. Cross it if you dare! We can assure you that it’ll add an element of thrill and excitement to your trekking, especially on a windy day when the bridge sways from side to side.
However, for those of you who don’t want to cross the bridge, you can ride the cable car instead! Aside from the thrills, Daedunsan is full of maple leaves that are a dazzling red spectacle from above.
Bonus Autumn Foliage Spots
National Parks aren’t the only place you can see leaves turn red. Gyeongju is one such place, which is an area abundant in historical heritage sites. Not only will you be able to witness the trees don warm tones of yellow, orange, and red, but you get to see numerous UNESCO World Heritage sites such as the Bulguksa Temple or walk around Gyeongju wearing the Korean traditional hanbok.
Check out hassle-free Gyeongju tours and explore Gyeongju’s historical landmarks:
- Gyeongju Day & Night Full Day Group Tour – from Busan/Ulsan
- Gyeongju 1 Day Tour from Busan
- Gyeongju City Tour Bus Ticket
- Gyeongju City 1 Day Private Tour – from Busan/Daegu
- Gyeongju Private Taxi Tour
- Gyeongju Instagram Spots 1 Day Tour from Busan
2) Jeju Island
Jeju Island is a magical island 4 seasons of which are clear and have their own beauty. With the help of blessed nature, you can spot the most awesome appearances of fall in Jeju fall foliage trails. Do not miss a chance to witness the magic of colors on the Korean Treasure Island!
Check out hassle-free ways to explore Jeju Island:
- Car Rental in Jeju Island
- Jeju 1 Day Bus Tour Package
- Hire a Taxi with a Driver in Jeju – Jeju Taxi Tour
- Jeju Island Tour with Private Driver & Van
- Jeju City Tour Bus: Hop On & Hop Off
Book Ultimate Jeju Island Tour Packages:
- Visit Jeju Island in 1 Day from Seoul
- Seoul to Jeju Island Flight & Hotel (Airtel) (+ Private Tour option) Package
- Jeju 3D2N/4D3N Hotel + Taxi/Van Tour Package
3) More Autumn Foliage Trails in Korea
There are also beautiful autumn foliage trails that are easily reached from Busan, such as Gayasan National Park, Jirisan National Park, Juwangsan National Park, and Palgongsan National Park. If you want to enjoy the breathtaking autumn scenery in the southern part of Korea, click here.
Check out the best ways to explore Korea this autumn:
- Express Bus Ticket Reservation: Seoul ↔ Busan/Daegu/Gyeongju/Jeonju/Gwangju/Sokcho/Gangneung
- Korail Pass (KR Pass): Unlimited KTX & Train Rides
- Intercity Private Van Transfer: Incheon/ Gimpo Airport/ Seoul → Gapyeong/ Chuncheon/ Gangneung/ Sokcho/ Suwon/ Jeonju
Check out more autumn special tours in Korea:
- Hwadam Botanic Garden & Namhansanseong Fortress Autumn/Fall Foliage Tour – from Seoul
- Mt. Gamaksan + Eunpyeong Hanok Village + Haneul Park Autumn/Fall Foliage Tour – from Seoul
- Seoul Forest + Incheon Grand Park + Haneul Park Autumn/Fall Foliage Tour – from Seoul
- Nami Island & Fall Seasonal Attractions 1 Day Tour – from Seoul
- Alpaca World + Hoengseong Luge + Museum SAN Tour – from Seoul
- Korea Autumn/Fall Foliage 1 Day Tour (Seoul ↔ Vicinities)
- Korea Autumn/Fall Foliage 1 Day Tour (Busan ↔ Vicinities)
- Yeongnam Alps Gondola Autumn/Fall Foliage Tour – from Busan
- Jeonju Hanok Village & Mt. Jangtaesan/Daedunsan Fall/Winter Tour – from Seoul
Walking along the fall foliage trails in Korea is definitely a special travel experience! As always, do not forget to stop by Trazy.com, Korea’s #1 Travel Shop, to stay informed on the latest and best things to do in South Korea!
Songnisan National Park facebook