When winter comes around in Korea, the weather is so bitter and cold that it makes you want to stay indoors during your trip. But you wouldn’t want to waste your time, right? Especially, if you’re not going on a ski trip or going to any of the ice fishing festivals, the best option is to stay inside and do something fun. So, if you are not going anywhere far, here are three fun and unique indoor activities in winter that you can do within the city of Seoul!
1. Craft a Souvenir with Korean Traditional Paper, ‘Hanji’
If you are looking for a special, one of a kind souvenir in South Korea, why don’t you try making it instead of buying it on the street or from a store? Hand-made goods always feel more personal. Try making Korean traditional crafts with your own hands in the very heart of Insa-dong, the traditional neighborhood in Seoul!
Hanji is an incredibly strong, fibrous paper made from the inner bark of the mulberry tree and the root of hibiscus. You will be enamored with the true beauty of Hanji craft once you try Hanji craft experience. With the help of the master craftswoman, you will be able to make various kinds of souvenirs such as flower lamp, jewelry box and cubic lamp!
For similar indoor activities that you can do at a variety of places in Seoul, check out below:
- Make Traditional Korean Accessories with Korean Traditional Paper ‘Hanji’
- Design & Make Your Own Chopsticks/Spoon in Buam-dong, Seoul
- Make Traditional Korean Pottery
2. Make Your Own Custom Ring
Making a DIY custom ring is a popular new trend among young stylish people in Seoul. It became a smash hit after Korean celebrities, Gain and Jo Kwon, made their own matching rings on a reality TV show called “We Got Married”. You can choose the size and style of the ring, and engrave initials or words. Everything’s up to you! Spare one day with your beloved ones and design your own ring!
For similar indoor activities that you can do around Hongdae, the popular tourist destination in Seoul, check out below:
- Make Your Own Leather Goods near Hongdae
- Make Your Own Korean Lettering Silver Jewelry in Eulji-ro, Seoul
3. Try on Traditional Korean Costume, ‘Hanbok’
Starting out as a Hanbok Shop in 1962, ‘Goguan Studio’ has become one of the most popular places to try Korean traditional clothes, ‘Hanbok’, and experience Korean culture. The studio offers a selection of 300 different Hanboks as well as hair ornaments that you can try on! In winter, the studio is relatively less crowded than in summer. So, it’s highly recommended for you to visit this studio. Go ahead and pick your favorite Hanbok and take your best shot.
For a novel Hanbok experience, check out below:
- Professional Studio Hanbok Photoshoot in Gangnam, Seoul
- Hanbok Rental + Gyeongbokgung Palace “Spot the Difference” Mission Experience
- Modern Hanbok Rental & Photoshoot at Korean Traditional House or Gyeongbokgung Palace
- Daily Hanbok Rental in Seoul
4. Show off your Talent for Drawing & Painting
In Seoul, a variety of drawing and painting experiences other than just ordinary drawing and painting are waiting for you! From painting the lacquer ware which is one of the traditional ingredients of handicraft in Korea, to creating art work with gold leaf(gilt). By participating in these art activities, your travel memory in Korea will last long.
- Korean Acrylic & Watercolor Painting Class, Seoul
- Make Your Own Lacquerware Inlaid with Mother-of-Pearl in Gangnam, Seoul
- Traditional Korean Beverages Tasting & Drawing Class in Jamsil, Seoul
- Traditional Korean Gold Leaf Art Painting Class in Gangnam, Seoul
For similar indoor activities in winter that you can do at a variety of places in Seoul, check out below:
If you want to find out the latest, trendiest things to do, browse through Korea’s #1 Travel Guide, Trazy.com. Including indoor activities in winter, you can find plenty of unique activities that you cannot experience elsewhere but only in Korea.