Thailand is one of the best destinations when you think of beach vacations. Indeed, Thailand boasts hundreds of beautiful islands, and you might have heard of some of them. In this post, we will guide you to the most popular islands and also some hidden gems in Thailand by locations. Be sure to read on if you are planning to go on islands hopping in Thailand.
Phuket and Krabi are the southern provinces in the Andaman sea of Thailand. You can find the largest number of islands and beaches in Phuket & Krabi area out of all Thailand. Whether you are looking for some water sports to enjoy or simply just chilling on the beach, you will find something you like here. See below to find which island is the most intriguing to you!
1) Most popular islands near Phuket & Krabi:
- Koh Phi Phi Don: An island which has unusual H shape with its main village built on the horizontal bar. Tonsai Bay which is the main village is famous for its nightlife.
- Koh Phi Phi Leh: Featuring Maya Bay which was a filming location of a world famous movie starring Leonardo Di Caprio. There is also a famous lagoon called Pileh Lagoon.
- James Bond Island: Original name Khao Ping Khan or Koh Ta Pu, but it’s well-known as James Bond after the James Bond movie The Man with the Golden Gun released.
- Bamboo Island: One of the most beautiful beach destinations where there are no high rocky cliffs.
- Railay Beach: Small peninsula featuring golden sands and jaw-dropping limestone cliff backdrop. Famous spot for rock-climbing.
- Koh Lanta: Comprised of 52 islands in the southernmost region of Krabi Province. Boasting pristine beaches and balmy weather.
- Chicken Island: The name came from the strange rock that looks like a chicken’s head.
- Koh Mai Thon: One of the best diving location in Thailand thanks to its crystal clear water.
- Koh Kradan: Quiet island with emerald crystal-clear water, stunning scenery and privacy.
- Koh Lipe: White sandy beaches, perfect for relaxing.
- Koh Muk: Beautiful beaches and exotic landscape with a magical cave.
- Koh Ngai: Great snorkeling location with the beautiful coral reefs.
- Koh Yao Yai: Consists of several beautiful beaches that boast a tranquil atmosphere with the azure sea.
- Koh Yao Noi: Laidback atmosphere, good for diving and snorkeling.
- Koh Racha Yai: Presenting crystal clear water of the deep ocean.
Here are the most popular islands hopping tour in Phuket/Krabi area with huge discounts. Check them out.
2) Hidden gems near Phuket & Krabi:
- Koh Poda: Designated as a National Park thanks to its crystal clear water and white sandy beaches.
- Koh Tup: Boasting crystal blue water offering great photo taking opportunities.
- Koh Mor: Connected to the neighboring islands with a sandbar when the tides are low.
- Koh Khai Nok: A small island where has a rocky headland and snow-white beach.
- Koh Khai Nai: Popular for its superb sandy beaches and incredibly clear water where some fishes come to swim around you.
- Koh Surin Nuea: A home to 150 Moken or Sea Gypsies who have settled here.
- Koh Hae: as known as Coral island.
- Koh Hong: Recognized for its fine white sand, coral and lots of varieties of tropical fishes.
- Koh Lao Lading: Sandy beaches and some beautiful views on the island.
- Koh Lawa Yai: A limestone island with reefs on all sides.
- Koh Miang: Known as a paradise on Earth.
- Koh Naka Yai: Tranquil beaches which are broad and sandy.
- Koh Panak: Presenting many caves and inner sea areas around the island.
- Koh Panyi: A steep limestone island with a fishing village.
- Koh Payu: Famous for its variety snorkeling spots.
- Koh Phak Bia: Quiet place which is perfect to spend a relaxing time.
- Koh Bangu: Lots of beautiful boulder formations.
- Koh Rok: Beautiful beaches and crystal seas to dive and snorkel.
- Koh Haa: Has beautiful green fields, and its highest point is great for wonderful views.
Here are the great tours to explore the hidden gems in Phuket & Krabi area!
Pattaya is the largest city in Chonburi province. Pattaya is a super popular vacation spot that can be easily reached from Bangkok within 2 hours. Here, you can enjoy exciting water sports such as kiteboarding and flyboarding. Also, there are numerous islands near Pattaya where you can enjoy a relaxing vacation with pristine sandy beaches and clear water.
1) Most popular islands near Pattaya:
- Koh Larn: Surrounded by hundreds of colonies of beautiful coral.
- Koh Sak: An uninhabited tiny horseshoe-shaped island near Koh Larn.
- Koh Samet: Featuring turquoise sea, crescent bays with fine white sand, plenty of water sports and a throbbing nightlife.
- Koh Samae San: A home of sea turtles to lay and hatch their eggs which preserved by the Royal Thai Navy.
Check out the most popular islands hopping tours in Pattaya below!
2) Hidden gems near Pattaya:
- Koh Kham: Under the protection of the Royal Thai Navy in order to preserve its marine ecosystem.
- Koh Kudee: Presenting the seafloor, comprised of solid rock which gently slopes into deeper water.
- Koh Phai: Recommended for swimming and snorkeling but not permitted to stay overnight because it is under the supervision of the Royal Thai Navy.
- Koh Man Wichai: A showcase of sandy coves.
- Koh Rin: Great for diving and snorkeling which you can see a resident family of sea turtles.
If you want to have a great diving experience at quiet islands near Pattaya, be sure to check out the tours below.
Koh Samui and Koh Phangan are also undoubtedly one of the most popular island destinations located in the Gulf of Thailand. They are surrounded by small islets with a lot of beautiful scenery waiting for you to explore. All those stunning islands won’t disappoint you when it comes to white sandy beaches and emerald waters.
1) Most popular islands near Koh Samui & Koh Phangan:
- Koh Tao: Known as the Paradise island of Thailand.
- Koh Taen: A heaven for snorkeling lovers. You will be amazed by the beautiful underwater world.
- Koh Mat Sum: Beautiful small island located only a few-minutes boat ride from the south coast of Koh Samui.
Here are the tours that will take to you the must-visit islands near Koh Samui. Check out the links below!
2) Hidden gems near Koh Samui & Koh Phangan:
- Koh Rap: Nice place for swimming, snorkeling, and having some peaceful rest by the clear ocean.
- Koh Mae Ko: One of the islands comprising the Ang Thong National Marine Park. Boasting its must-visit spots, Emerald Lake.
- Koh Nang Yuan: A set of three islands that are connected.
- Koh Sam Sao: Home to the colorful reef of the Gulf of Thailand.
- Koh Thai Phlao: Offering opportunities to explore small caves, lakes, and beaches.
- Koh Wao: Has colorful corals and shallow caves. Not-to-be-missed if you are a diver.
- Koh Wua Ta Lap: The largest island in the Ang Thong National Marine Park with the best viewpoint.
Don’t hesitate to explore these hidden gems near Koh Samui anymore. Book Ang Thong National Marine Park tour today and make the memories that will last a lifetime!
And as always, don’t forget to check out Trazy.com for more updates on fantastic tours you could go to in Thailand!