Here’s a guide to the Garden of Morning Calm. Visit this popular day-trip destination near Seoul!
For those who love nature and are also fond of botanical gardens, head for the Garden of Morning Calm, one of the best and most beautiful gardens in Korea.
Inspired by Korea’s nickname, ‘The Land of the Morning Calm’, the garden focuses on the country’s natural beauty and showcases floral arrangements and landscaped gardens built in harmony with the surroundings.
Offering a picturesque setting, the garden has been used as a filming location for many Korean TV series, including the hit drama, “Moonlight Drawn by Clouds,” starred by Park Bo-gum and Kim Yoo-jung.
Where is the Garden of Morning Calm?
Located north of Seoul in Gapyeong, Gyeonggi Province, the Garden of Morning Calm can be reached within 2 hours by car.
Around the Garden of Morning Calm, there are many other famous attractions you may want to explore as well, such as Nami Island, Petite France, and Gangchon Rail Park.
The best way to go to the Garden of Morning Calm from Seoul
There are two ways you can get to the Garden of Morning Calm from Seoul:
- Public transportation
If you can’t decide which one to take, use this chart below to see which is suitable for you.
If you are a first-time traveler, taking a tour is the best option. It is the most convenient way to visit the garden and other famous tourist destinations nearby.
When is the best time to visit the Garden of Morning Calm?
Four seasons of the Garden of Morning Calm
The Garden of Morning Calm offers seasonal displays of blooms and festivals every season so it is always worth visiting, even multiple times.
During spring, the garden features various spring flowers such as cherry blossom, forsythia, Japanese apricot, azalea, and magnolia.
★Spring event: Wild Flower Exhibition and Spring Festival
★Weather: While it is pleasantly warm during the day, mornings and evenings can be quite chilly. Wearing in layers and bringing a lightweight jacket is highly recommended.
In summer, the garden becomes verdant boasting its lush trees with leafy branches. You can see iris, hydrangea, and rose of Sharon in June, July, and mid-July to August, respectively.
★Summer event: Iris Festival, Hydrangea Festival and Exhibition, Rose of Sharn Festival and Exhibition
★Weather: Korea’s summer is humid and you may encounter summer showers. Make sure to check out the weather forecast before you go.
In autumn, the garden offers breathtaking scenery of fall foliage. The blue sky and yellow and red leaves make a picturesque contrast of autumn colors, and autumn flowers add their fragrance to this scenic view in the garden.
★Autumn event: Wild chrysanthemum Exhibition, Chrysanthemum Exhibition, and Maple Festival
★Weather: Autumn’s gentle breeze with the clear blue sky will make a perfect day for outdoor activities. Bring a jacket for chilly mornings and nights.
The garden is great to explore year-round, but winter is especially popular for the annual display of dazzling lights at night.
★Winter event: Lighting Festival (December-March)
★Weather: The sun sets early and the temperature falls below 0-degree Celsius in winter. Keep yourself warm with thick clothes, winter boots, and gloves.
5 Must-See Spots in the Garden of Morning Calm
Visitors can quickly look around this seven-acre garden within roughly one or two hours.
But if you have limited time and want to make the most of your time, check out these 5 must-see spots in the Garden of Morning Calm.
As you read, use our map below to find the spots featured in this blog post.
1. Hometown Garden (marked as 5 in the map): A very typical Korean thatched cottage is surrounded by trees and plants that Korean people love to plant near their houses.
2. Rose of Sharon Garden (8): This garden is filled with more than 200 kinds of Roses of Sharon, the national flower of Korea.
3. Millennium Juniper (16): This elegant juniper has lived for a thousand years.
4. Pond Garden (22): The pavilion, the pond, and trees form a scenic view that changes every season.
5. Conifer Garden (31): The garden is filled with more than 20 kinds of evergreen trees and the miniature rail is loved by children.
Are you interested in visiting the Garden of Morning Calm? See our top-rated tours below! And don’t forget to check out this Garden of Morning Calm guide.
- Garden of Morning Calm & Nami Island
- Garden of Morning Calm & Nami Island & Petite France
- Garden of Morning Calm & Nami Island & Gangchon Rail Bike
- Garden of Morning Calm & Nami Island & Strawberry Picking
- 4 in 1: Garden of Morning Calm & Nami Island & Petite France & Gangchon Rail Bike
- 4 in 1: Garden of Morning Calm & Nami Island & Petite France & Strawberry Picking
Last but not least, don’t forget to check out Trazy.com, Korea’s #1 Travel Shop, for all the latest things to do in South Korea!