Jeju Island is a beautiful island, but it’s not easy to get around because there is no subway or train. If this is your first-time travel to Jeju Island in Korea, you will feel even more lost and struggle for sure.
For first-time visitors to Jeju Island, check this transportation guide for your trip!
How to get around Jeju island?
In Jeju Island, there are various types of transportation options- bus, taxi, car, motorcycle/scooters, and bikes– and each type offers its own unique travel experiences.
Since there are no trains or subway in Jeju Island, buses and taxis are the two main public transportation on the island.
In Jeju Island, there are City Bus, Tourist Shuttle Bus, and Airport Limousine Bus and these buses cover almost all of Jeju Island.
Taking these are the cheapest way to get around the island. However, you do have to go through an inconvenience like long intervals that can be time-consuming.
All buses accept cash or Seoul’s T-money transit card, but we recommend using the T-money card for the fare because you can transfer twice within 60 mins, each within 30 mins, for free.
1. City Bus
Intercity buses run between the intercity bus terminals of Jeju City and Seogwipo via several different routes. These buses make several stops, including major tourist attractions, but not at every stop like the intra-city bus does.
The base fare is 1,200 KRW and is surcharged by distance. The interval is around 15~30 mins. For travelers and tourists, taking the intercity bus is a better option.
Bus No. 201 runs every 15~30 mins (Jeju Bus Terminal – Seongsan Ilchulbong – Seogwipo Bus Terminal) – for looking around the east coast of Jeju Island.
Bus No. 202 runs every 15~30 mins (Jeju Bus Terminal – Gosan – Seogwipo Bus Terminal) – for looking around the west coast of Jeju Island.
Check out the summary of the changes to Jeju Island’s new bus system highlighted below:
1)Cheaper bus fare:
- The basic fare will be set at 1,200 KRW (1,150 KRW for rechargeable bus card or T-money cardholders)
- Express bus fares: 2,000 to 3,000 KRW per person, per trip
- The time for transferring the buses without an extra charge is 30 mins.
- You will be able to transfer a maximum of four times per fare.
2)Express route operation:
- 12 express bus routes will be established to link the airport, bus terminal, and new transfer bus stops.
- Bus routes (number of routes): East Ilju-ro, West Ilju-ro, Beonyoung-ro (4), Namjo-ro (2), Pyeonghwa-ro (3), 5.16 Road
- Fare: 2,000 won will be charged for the first 20 km. An extra 500 won will be charged per 5 km after that up to a maximum fare of 3,000 won.
3)Overall system reform and simplification:
- 644 routes to 149 routes
- Jeju Island will be divided into four regions; Northeast (Jocheon, Gujwa), Northwest (Aewol, Hanlim, Hangyeong), Southeast (Namwon, Pyoseon, Seongsan), Southwest (Andeok, Daejeong). There will be 45 bus routes that run in these areas.
4)Increased number of buses: 530 to 797
- The new number system will identify the type of bus, departing stop, the final stop, and bus route.
- Types of the bus will be numbered as follows: Express bus (100), Mainline bus (200), Jeju City mainline bus (300), Jeju City feeder line bus (400), Seogwipo mainline bus (500), Seogwipo feeder line bus (600), Rural routes (700).
- Each bus will have a certain color depending on the type of bus.
2. Express Bus
Photo courtesy of Visitjeju.net
There are 8 express bus routes that link new stops with Jeju International Airport and the trunk routes connect major sightseeing spots.
- Bus No. 101: Jeju Airport – Seogwipo Bus Terminal (East Ilju-ro)
- Bus No. 102: Jeju Bus Terminal – Seogwipo Bus Terminal (West Ilju-ro)
- Bus No. 111 & 112: Jeju Airport – Daecheondong – Seongsan Pohang (Beonyoung-ro)
- Bus No. 121 & 122: Jeju Airport – Daecheondong – Pyoseon (Jeju Folk Village) (Beonyoung-ro)
- Bus No. 131 & 132: Jeju Airport – Kyorae Intersection – Namwon Gym (Namjo-ro)
- Bus No. 151 & 152: Jeju Bus Terminal – Unjin Port (Daejeong) (Pyeonghwa-ro)
- Bus No. 181: Jeju Airport – Jeju Bus Terminal – Seogwipo Bus Terminal – Jeju Airport – Jeju Bus Terminal (5.16 Road)
- Bus No. 182: Jeju Bus Terminal – Jeju Airport – Seogwipo Bus Terminal – Jeju Bus Terminal – Jeju Airport (Pyeonghwa-ro)
2. Tourist Shuttle Bus
A Tourist Shuttle Bus is an easy, quick, and affordable way to visit major tourist destinations in Jeju Island. Two circulation lines enable you to travel both eastern and western districts of Jeju Island. Moreover, Tourist Shuttle Bus offers information on each tourist destination, such as its local culture and famous restaurants.
The bus fare is KRW 1,150 for adults, KRW 850 for teenagers, and KRW 350 for children. If you want a full day ticket, it is KRW 3,000 for adults, KRW 2,000 for teenagers, and KRW 1,000 for children. The bus runs every 30 minutes (the first bus is at 8:30AM and the last bus is at 17:30PM) and only the transportation card is accepted for payment. Transportation cards can be purchased at the airport, port passenger terminal, and convenience store (GS25, CU, 7/11, etc).
1)Eastern District Tourist Circulation Bus Route (No. 810)
Photo courtesy of Visitjeju.net
- Bus No. 810-1: Daecheon Transit Center – Geoseunsemi, Andol, Batdol, and Min Oreum – Abu Oreum – Songdangri Village – Darangshi Oreum Entrance (South), Sonji Oreum – Yongnuni Oreum – Jeju Rail Bike – Darangshi Oreum Entrance (North) – Bijarim – Maze Land – Dunji Oreum – Deokcheonri Village – Eodae Oreum – Hanul Land – Camellia Hill Wetlands Center – Albam Oreum – Daheeyeon – Seonindong Village – Fairy and the Woodcutter – Seonheul 2 ri Village – Jeju World Natural Heritage Center, Geomun Oreum – Daecheon Transit Center
- Bus No. 810-2: The opposite direction of Bus No. 810-2.
2)Western District Tourist Circulation Bus Route (No. 820)
Photo courtesy of Visitjeju.net
- Bus No. 820-1: Donggwang Transit Center – Hello Kitty Island – World Car Museum – Seogwangdongri Village – Soinkgook Theme Park – Seogwangseori Village – Norimae – Gueokri Village – Shinpyungri Village – Sanyang Gotjawal – Jeju Peace Museum – Cheongsu Village Community Center – Jeoji Oreum – Jeju Museum of Contemporary Art, Kim Tschang-Yeul Museum, Jeoji Artists’ Village – Bangrimwon – Spirited Garden – Jeju Gotjawal Hwansang Forest – Jeju Glass Castle – Jeju O’sulloc Tea Museum – Jeju Aerospace Hotel – Jeju Aerospace Museum – Jeju Myths and History Park – Donggwang Transit Center
- Bus No. 820-2: The opposite direction of Bus No. 820-1.
820-1 runs every hour between 11:00AM and 14:00PM and 820-2 runs every hour between 10:30AM and 13:20PM
3. Airport Limousine Bus (No. 600)
The No. 600 Airport Limousine circulates between the Jeju International Airport, Jungmun Complex, and Seogwipo every 18~20 minutes. The final stop is Seogwipo KAL Hotel. The whole route takes about 80 mins.
Jeju Intl. Airport → Jeju Sun Hotel → Grace Hotel → Jungmun Tourist Complex·Yeomiji Botanical Garden Entrance → Kensington Jeju Hotel → Hyatt Regency Jeju → The Shilla Hotel → The Suites Hotel → Hotel Hana → Lotte Hotel → HANKOOK Condominium → JEJU TOURISM ORGANIZATION→ Seas Hotel & Resort → Jeju Intl. Convention Center (ICC)·Jungmun Daepo Jusangjeolli Cliffs → Daepo Port → Yakcheonsa → Wolpyeong Village → Gangjeong Nonghyup → Kensington Resort Akgeuncheon → Seogeondo →Jeju World Cup Stadium → New Kyungnam Hotel → Seogwipo Wharf →Seobok Exhibition Hall → Paradise Hotel Entrance → Seogwipo KAL Hotel
2) Turnaround Time
- Airport~Jungmun Tourism Complex: 50 mins
- Airport~Seogwipo KAL Hotel: 80 mins
3) Bus Fare and Timetable
- Jeju International Airport: First Bus 06:20, Last Bus 22:00 (18~20 min intervals)
- Seogwipo New Kyungnam Hotel: First Bus 06:20, Last Bus 21:50
- Late-night Limousine Bus departs from Jeju International Airport (in front of Gate 5) at 22:50
- Airport~Yeomiji Botanical Garden Entrance: 4,500 won
- Airport~Gangjeong, Punglim, Jeju World Cup Stadium: 5,000 won
- Airport~Seogwipo New Kyungnam Hotel, Seogwipo KAL Hotel: 5,500 won
For middle/high school students the bus fare costs 20% off the regular fare and 50% off the regular fare for elementary school students.
※You can purchases the ticket at the airport stands, Sinjeju ticket office, and the New Kyungnam Hotel ticket office.
Other Hassle-free Transporation Options in Jeju Island
1. Jeju City Tour Bus: Hop-On & Hop-Off 1 Day Pass
In Jeju Island, there is a hop-on and hop-off city tour bus called Jeju City Tour Bus. Travelers can hop on and off at various stops, many of which are located near tourist attractions.
Departure Time: 9:00 am~7:00 pm (Every hour)
*Last departure from Jeju Int’l Airport at 5:00 pm.
*The Jeju City Tour Bus does not operate on every 3rd Monday of every month.
Duration: 2 hours
- Jeju Folklore and Natural History Museum
- Samseonghyeol Shrine
- Sanjideungdae Lighthouse
- Dongmun Traditional Market
- Gwadeokjeong Pavilion
- Yongyeon Suspension Bridge
- Yongduam (Dragon Head Rock)
- Iho Tewoo Beach
- Jeju Folk Five-Day Market
- Halla Arboretum
- Arboretum Theme Park
- Nexon Computer Museum
It’s a simple and yet convenient way to travel around the island at a reasonable price. The tour is KRW 10,000 (approx. USD 10) for adults and KRW 7,000 (approx. USD 7) for children (4~18 yrs old). To purchase Jeju City Tour Bus One-day Pass, click here.
2. Jeju 1 Day Bus Tour
Another great option is to join Jeju 1 Day Bus Tour that runs on 3 different routes. You can easily visit some of the best attractions in Jeju Island by taking this tour with an English speaking tour guide. Also, entrance fees are mostly already included!
*The following tours are temporarily N/A.
- Jeju Island West & East Coast 1 Day Tour
- Jeju 1 Day Guided Bus Tour Package (East/West/South Course) (+Lunch)
If the bus system in Jeju is too complicated and you don’t have an international driver’s license, taking a taxi can be a great option. The basic fare starts from 2,200~3,800 KRW depending on the vehicle of the taxi. From 12:00 am to 4:00 am, there is a surcharge, 20% added to the basic fare.
Taking a taxi in the middle of the road in Jeju Island can be frustrating and tiresome, so our advice is to call a taxi (1,000 KRW but it’s better to ask the fee when calling a taxi) or hire a taxi for a day.
Hiring a taxi is definitely recommended to those who are looking for a convenient and comfortable ride throughout the day and a personalized, free, and easy tour.
4. Car Rental
For those who have an international driver’s license, renting a car is the best option to look around the island’s major attractions and natural landscape. It allows you to reach destinations in Jeju Island that are difficult to reach by using public transportation.
Want some thrills and speed? If you have an international driver’s license, rent a motorcycle or a scooter! You can find several rental shops around Jeju International Airport.
6. Bike Rental
Cycling along the breathtaking coastal roads and forests sure is a great way to explore Jeju Island.
If you don’t have an international driver’s license, renting a bike can be an alternative and it’s highly recommended for couples and solo travelers.
Are You Traveling in a Big Group of People?
Browse through the best transport deals for Jeju Island in Korea. Choose the right one according to your travel group!
Traveling with your family or your travel buddies? Consider these options!
1. Hire a Private Driver & Van
If you wish to travel Jeju Island in a small group and enjoy a private tour, this option is highly recommended!
You can freely write a list of destinations you want to visit and customize your itinerary by taking this tour.
Similar to the private van tour, a small group van tour can be another great option for a group of travelers and tourists from 2 to 9 people.
The small group van tour is more affordable and inexpensive than private tours.
*This tour is temporarily N/A.
3. Mini Bus/Big Bus Private Tour
If you want a private tour in a big group of people, this is the perfect option for you! If you travel up to 14 people in total, choose the Mini Bus option and if there are 15~40 people in total, choose the Big Bus option.
You can choose up to 4~5 places in a day within the same part of Jeju Island, the eastern part or the western part.
*This tour is temporarily N/A.
Find this Jeju Island transportation guide helpful? Discover all the latest things to do in Jeju Island at Trazy.com, Korea’s #1 Travel Shop!
bus.jeju.go.kr official page
visitjeju.net official page