Take a trip to Nami Island or ‘Namiseom (남이섬)’ in Korea, one of the best tourist destinations near Seoul!
Find out what to see and do in Nami Island during winter, autumn, spring, and summer!
About Nami Island
Located near Seoul, Nami Island, or Namiseom is a beautiful island that is among the most popular attractions in Korea for good reason.
Featuring beautiful tree lanes, woodlands, riverside walks, and many more, Nami Island offers picture-perfect scenery all year round. It is just surprising how this small island has it all!
Thanks to its incredible scenery, Nami Island has been used as the location for many Korean dramas (especially romance dramas).
Most particularly, the hit Korean drama, “Winter Sonata,” has led to the island’s huge popularity among overseas guests.
Moreover, Nami Island has been selected as one of the shooting locations for the first-ever Filipino-Korean romantic comedy series, “My Korean Jagiya,” starred by Heart Evangelista (Gia) and Alexander Lee (Kim Jun-ho, a former member of K-pop group U-KISS). The drama has been aired on GMA Network on August 21, 2017.
Best time to visit Nami Island
Four seasons of Nami Island
To be honest, there is no “best time” to visit Nami Island. The island offers something special for everyone in every season.
In spring, trees and spring flowers begin to bloom on Nami Island. You will be able to see beautiful cherry blossoms, which usually bloom from early April to mid-April.
★Weather: The weather is pleasant and mild, and the air is crisp and cool.
★Tip: Lightweight jackets or light, layered clothing work the best.
When summer brings lush greenery to the island, take a stroll along with a thick stand of pine trees and redwoods.
★Weather: The summer weather is hot and humid. On-and-off rain showers are possible.
★Tip: Wear casual clothes and comfortable walking shoes. Bring an umbrella, hat, sunscreen, water bottle, and a fan.
From mid-September to November, visitors can enjoy spectacular fall foliage across Nami Island. The reed beds on the riverside are another nature’s gift you will be able to enjoy during fall.
★Weather: Skies are cleat and the weather is cool and dry.
★Tip: Wear a long sleeve t-shirt, long pants, or a lightweight jacket.
Don’t miss out on the beautiful autumn foliage on Nami Island!
Well known as a filming location of a popular Korean romance drama called “Winter Sonata (2002),” starred by Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo, Nami Island is famous for being a romantic winter destination. In winter, the snow-covered tree lanes and the tall, white birch trees absolutely give you that magical feel!
★Weather: The weather is generally colder in January than other winter months. Snow falls around late November, but do check the weather forecast before you go.
★Tip: Wear a thick winter coat, thermals, sweater, thick socks, a hat, gloves or mittens, and a scarf.
5 Must-see spots in Nami Island
There are plenty of amazing attractions and sights on Nami Island! To help you make the most of your trip, here we’ve narrowed it down to the top 5 must-see spots in Nami Island.
As you read, use our map below to find the spots featured in this blog post.
1. The Central Korean Pine Tree Lane: A scenic path lined with thick pine trees leading to the center of the island.
2. Ginkgo Tree Lane: A must-stop spot for enjoying the splendor of vivid yellow ginkgo leaves during autumn.
3. Metasequoia Lane: A path lined with giant redwood trees, offering magnificent scenery.
4. Riverside Paths: The wooden walks around the water’s edge where you can take in the stunning views of the lake and surrounding mountains.
5. Gongsaengwon Garden (The Winter Sonata Statue): In this garden, you can find a statue of the main characters from “Winter Sonata” and a special photo zone for visitors to take souvenir pictures.
How to go to Nami Island from Seoul
Located in the city of Chuncheon, northeast of Seoul, Nami Island is close enough to Seoul to make a day trip, taking roughly one and a half hours from Seoul. If you use public transportation, it will take you at least 2 hours or more. Trust us, it will be a long, inconvenient trip while giving up comfort and convenience. Taking these into account, you will be far better off taking either a shuttle bus or a tour.
Click here to book the Nami Island Round-Trip Shuttle Bus from Seoul.
If you prefer to have completely free time on your own while exploring Gapyeong, book Gapyeong One Day Private Van Tour.
Both can really save your time and make your trip way more convenient. Plus, taking a tour is also a great option as you can visit other popular places nearby, such as Petite France, Gangchon Rail Park, and the Garden of Morning Calm – all of which are worth a visit.
Click below for more information about Nami Island tours!
→ Nami Island + Petite France Tours
- Nami Island + Petite France Day Tour
- Nami Island + Petite France + Garden of Morning Calm Tour
- Nami Island + Gangchon Rail Bike + Petite France Tour
→ Nami Island + Garden of Morning Calm Tours
- Nami Island + Garden of Morning Calm Day Tour
- Nami Island + Garden of Morning Calm + Gangchon Rail Bike Tour
- Seoraksan National Park + Nami Island (+ Garden of Morning Calm) Tour
→ Nami Island + Gangchon Rail Bike Tours
- Nami Island + Petite France + Rail Park + Garden of Morning Calm Day Tour
- Gangchon Rail Park – Rail Bike Ticket
→ Nami Island + Gapyeong Rail Bike Tours
- Nami Island + Gapyeong Rail Bike + Garden of Morning Calm Tour
- Nami Island + Petite France + Gapyeong Rail Bike + Garden of Morning Calm Tour
- Gapyeong Rail Park – Rail Bike Ticket
Nami Island Ticket Info
Nami Island, or officially called the Naminara Republic, is an independent island nation that has its own flag and currency.
All visitors must buy a Nami Island passport (ticket) and take the ferry to get inside the island as it is inaccessible by land transport.
| Entrance Ticket Price:
|Seniors(70+ yrs) / Students (Middle~High School Age)||₩10,000|
|Children (36 months~Elementary School Age) / Visitors after 6pm (Dec~Mar) / Visitors after 7pm (Apr~Nov)||₩7,000|
|Under 36 months||Free|
|Round-trip ferry fares are included.|
| Where to Buy Tickets: The ticket office is located near the Immigration Gate.
Looking for tours to Nami Island? Just simply book our top-rated tours here!
To find the best travel deals for your next trip to South Korea, make sure to visit Trazy.com, Korea’s #1 Travel Shop.
- Nami Island Official Website
- Nami Island Official Facebook Page