Attention beginners and experts alike, here is the ultimate guide to everything you need to know in order to go skiing in Korea!
Is it your first time skiing in Korea? Lucky for you, we’ve got you covered.
Read on to find out all the essential things you should consider when planning your ski trip in Korea, plus some handy tips for you to get the best out of your ski trip!
Should I Choose Ski or Snowboarding?
“To ski or snowboard, that is the question.”
This is a common dilemma first-timers will come across before starting anything. Both of them look cool to try out, but maybe one of them seems more scary and dangerous than the other. We’re sure you will spend a long and hard time thinking about what you want to learn. Lucky for you, we have put together a table for you to decide what is the right choice for you!
|Difficulty||Easy||Can be challenging to learn|
|Freedom of movement (Hands/Feet)||Able to move both hands & feet freely||Hands are free to move, Feet secured to the board (limited movement)|
|Injury-prone body parts||Knees, waist (core)||Head, wrists, buttocks|
|Why ski/snowboard?||Can enjoy the thrill of the speed when skiing down the slopes||Feels great to pull off the difficult jumps and tricks|
This should be enough for you to decide which sport you would like to learn. If you would like to feel the thrill of speeding down the slopes then skiing is for you. Of course, that doesn’t mean you can’t speed down slopes on a snowboard, because snowboarding has other advantages that you can’t feel when skiing.
Although snowboarding does take a longer time to master the movements and tricks, once you get the hang of it, you will be able to pull off all those awesome tricks you see in the winter X-Games!
Which Ski Resort Should I Choose?
This depends on your needs such as budget, your level of skiing or snowboarding, and time. So there is no definite answer to this question. However, we can give you some advice and suggestions that you may want to take into consideration when choosing your ski resort in Korea.
1. For beginners – Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort
If you are completely new to skiing, you probably won’t be able to use all the facilities and amenities because you will be busy adjusting to the slopes. So instead, visit a ski resort that has easy slopes with lessons and is very much geared towards beginners such as Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort.
You can also rent ski/snowboard equipment and clothes and get your lift pass. A shuttle bus from/to Seoul and a 24/7 private transfer service from/to Seoul or Incheon/Gimpo Airport are also available.
- Book 1 Day Ski Lesson/Snow Sled/Free Time Tour to Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort!
- Ski/Snowboard Lift Pass + Equipment/Clothes Rental Package: Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort
- Ski/Snowboard Equipment/Clothes Rental + Shuttle Bus: Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort
- Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort Room Reservation – Elsuite Condominium
Not only is it the closest ski resort to Seoul (about 90 mins drive away) in Gangwon Province, which is the largest ski area in the country, but there are also plenty of popular tourist attractions nearby, including the famous picture-perfect Nami Island, Garden of Morning Calm, and Seoraksan National Park.
Here are some great spots to keep in mind if you are visiting Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort!
- Elysian / Nami Island / Petite France / Garden of the Morning Calm 1 Day Tour
- Elysian / Nami Island / Garden of the Morning Calm Light Festival 1 Day Tour
- Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort & Garden of Morning Calm Light Festival 1 Day Tour
- Elysian Gangchon Ski/Snowboard & Strawberry Picking 1 Day Tour
- Gapyeong Private Tour from Elysian Gangchon & Vivaldi Park Ski Resort
2. For family-unit skiers
1) Yongpyong Ski Resort
Another thing you should consider when planning a ski trip is who you’re going with, whether it’s just you and your partner or your family.
If you’re traveling in a family with kids, look for ski resorts that are family-friendly. The one that offers nursery slopes and comprehensive childcare options would be great.
You may also want to take on- and off-slope activities into account, such as sledding, spa, and indoor water park. Yongpyong Ski Resort is rated the best ski resort in the country and it has a variety of entertainment attractions for a family such as a sledding slope, golf club, and water park.
Yongpyong Ski Resort is also ideal for you if you are in a group of people with different skiing levels as the ski resort offers the biggest number of slopes – 28 slopes in total – for different ability levels. Also, you can either have a lesson only or take advantage of the lesson, lift pass, and equipment rental package! You can also easily book a shuttle bus or 24/7 private transfer service to Yongpyong Ski Resort via Trazy.
If you want to stay overnight at Yongpyong Ski Resort and enjoy skiing and snowboarding to the fullest, check out the hassle-free ski packages below:
2) Welli Hilli Park Ski Resort
Boasting thrill-filled attractions, and premium lodging facilities as well as a range of slopes, Welli Hilli Park Ski Resort is perfect for those who are seeking an adrenaline rush and coming to ski with their family. It is one of the closest ski resorts to Seoul as it only takes approximately an hour and a half by car.
Welli Hilli Park offers a whopping 18 slopes for skiers and snowboarders to have fun in, so it is one of the ideal ski resorts for large groups or family unit skiers to go to for their winter ski trip. Not only that, there is a Sheep Farm you can visit near Welli Hilli Park where you take a gondola up to the mountain peak to be greeted by a herd of sheep.
How to book ski/snowboard packages
When planning your ski trip, there are many elements to consider, such as transport, lift pass, ski clothes, equipment and many more. However, booking each ski necessity independently and comparing the prices can be a lot of hassle.
Therefore, the best option for first-timers is to book a ski/snowboard package with a tour operator. Not only these packages bundle up all your ski necessities, but also they can be better a lot cheaper than purchasing independently.
Trazy offers some of the best-value ski/snowboard packages, which provide you with ski clothes, equipment, lessons, lift passes and most importantly, transport.
But be sure you book everything in advance before the peak season as they do sell out pretty quickly.
How to Book Stay-and-Ski Packages
For those who want to stay overnight at a Korean ski resort, here we’ve put together the best stay-and-ski packages. Pick based on your taste!
1. Alpensia Ski Resort for a 5-star luxury experience
| Why Alpensia Ski Resort?
• Cozy and family-friendly resort with less crowd
• Recommended for beginners or advanced skiers/snowboarders
• A convenient stay at Holiday Inn & Suites in Alpensia Ski Resort
- Round-trip shuttle bus to Alpensia Ski Resort or Private Transfer
- Private Ski/Snowboard Lesson: Alpensia Ski Resort (Lesson Only)
Looking for more overnight packages?
Book a warm comfy room in Alpensia Ski Resort or in any other nearby pension and enjoy your winter vacation! Book a spacious room and come crash with your friends and family after an action-packed day of riding the slopes!
- Book a Room at Alpensia Ski Resort
- 2D1N Ski Tour at Alpensia Ski Resort
- 3D2N/4D3N Ski/Snowboard Tour: Alpensia Ski Resort
2. Vivaldi Park for hardcore skiers – ski 24/7 on the slopes!
| Why Vivaldi Park?
• The most visited ski resort in Korea for 7 consecutive years
• Offers the best night skiing experience
- 1 Day Ski/Snowboard/Snowy Land Snow Sled at Vivaldi Park Ski Resort
- Lift pass / Equipment Rental – Vivaldi Park Ski Resort
- Lift pass / Equipment Rental / Lesson – Vivaldi Park Ski Resort
- Private Ski/Snowboard Lesson – Vivaldi Park Ski Resort (Lesson Only)
Looking for hassle-free transfer services?
- Seoul ↔ Vivaldi Park Ski Resort Shuttle Bus
- Vivaldi Park Ski Resort Transfer (from/to Seoul & Incheon/Gimpo Airport) 24/7
Looking for overnight ski packages for Vivaldi Park?
- 2D1N SkiSnowboard Tour: Vivaldi Park Ski Resort
- 3D2N/4D3N Ski Tour: Vivaldi Park Ski Resort
- Vivaldi Park Room Reservation
Looking for more than just a ski trip?
- Vivaldi Park Ski Resort / Nami Island 1 Day Tour
- Vivaldi Park Ski Resort / Strawberry Picking 1 Day Tour
- Gapyeong Private Tour From/To Vivaldi Park Ski Resort
What Should I Bring?
You can bring your own ski suit and equipment if you have them, but if not, they are available for rental at the resort. If you book a ski tour package that includes equipment and ski clothes, you can save time and free yourself from all the hassle, like this one here, check it out!
- Vivaldi Ski Resort Lift Pass / Equipment Rental
- Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort Lift Pass / Equipment Rental
Be sure to check if the ski package provides you with ski caps, goggles, or gloves in advance. If they are not provided, bring your own or purchase them at the resort.
| Things to pack:
• Helmet or Hat
• Hot packs
• Lip balm
Should I Book Lessons?
Yes, it is highly recommended for first-time skiers take a lesson and practice before hitting the slopes.
Private lessons are relatively pricey but they are cost-effective as you will progress more quickly by receiving personalized guidance.
- Vivaldi Ski Resort: Private Ski/Snowboard Lesson
- Yongpyong Ski Resort: Private Ski/Snowboard Lesson
- Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort: Private Ski/Snowboard Lesson
- Alpensia Ski Resort: Private Ski/Snowboard Lesson
- Eden Valley Ski Resort: Private Ski/Snowboard Lesson
What Other Costs are There to Consider?
Do consider the expenses you will be spending on food and drink at the ski resort unless you bring your own food from home.
And if you are going to enjoy some other attractions in the ski resort, consider bringing extra expenses. Most of the ski lift passes include a gondola ride, but if the lift passes are not included in your ski package, you have to buy your lift pass or gondola ticket separately at the resort.
Are you looking for the perfect ski trip tailored just for you?
Here you can search and select all options depending on your needs!
Book now to ride the slopes of the must-visit ski resorts and enjoy Winter in Korea at Trazy.com, Korea’s #1 Travel Shop!