In the first week after your arrival in Korea, you might not know what to do first. Before you start travelling and having fun, you need to buy the necessaries!
If you live in a dormitory, basic things will be served. However, there are still things you need to buy such as detergent, wastebasket, etc. Here are some helpful tips you should know before going on a shopping spree.
1. Learn the Korean words of the basic items.
Let’s learn how to pronounce these words in Korea so that you can order the items without so much trouble.
1. Detergent = 세제 (Se jae)
2. Hanger = 옷걸이 (Ot geol i)
3. Wastebasket = 쓰레기통 (Ssu re gi tong)
4. Blanket = 이불 (I bul)
5. Clothes horse = 빨래건조대 (Bbal lae gun jo dae)
6. Clothes basket = 빨래바구니 (Bbal lae ba gu ni)
2. Know where you can go grocery and item shopping!
1. Daiso (다이소)
It’s a $1 shop where you can get things at a cheap price but the quality isn’t guaranteed.
2. E-Mart (이마트)/ Lotte Mart (롯데마트)/ Homeplus (홈플러스)
They are the Korean versions of Wal-Mart. You can find almost everything at this big mart.
3. In case you need to do dry cleaning,
1. Cleantopia (크린토피아)
It is a big chain cleaning company and easy to find almost everywhere. It sometimes has a laundromat also and you can get your laundry done at a cheap price.
2. Cleanwith (크린위드)
It is also similar with Cleantopia. You can also get a cheap cleaning service here.
Welcome to Korea and don’t forget to travel around! 🙂