Clear blue skies, chilly mornings, and Pumpkin Spice Latte.
What do all of these have in common?
They signal the long-awaited return of everyone’s favorite time of the year, after months of sweltering heatwaves. With that being said, one thing people look forward to the most is the allure of the Autumn foliage that adorns the streets in a fiery red. Likewise, thousands flock to Korea to bask in the stunning sights of mountains and streets bedazzled in crimson gold hues.
Well, we’ve all heard of the typical foliage destinations around Seoul such as Seoraksan and Bukhansan. Been there, done that. So, why not set your sights on something a little bit different this coming Autumn? Head on down towards Busan as we have prepared the best Autumn foliage trails to visit this year. Let’s take a look at them!
Gyeongju is a place well-known for its historical and cultural importance, home to the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bulguksa Temple, and many other magnificent monuments such as the Cheomseongdae Observatory. Not only can you enjoy a stroll through the city glowing with the colors of Autumn, but also experience the history and culture of Gyeongju. The foliage reaches its peak around the first week of November, so remember to drop by Bomun Lake which boasts a truly mesmerizing view of Autumn foliage!
- Gyeongju Autumn/Fall Foliage 1 Day Tour from Busan
- Gyeongju 1 Day Tour from Busan
- Gyeongju Instagram Spots 1 Day Tour from Busan
- Gyeongju Day & Night Full Day Group Tour from Busan/Busan
- 1 Day Gyeongju Private Tour from Busan/Daegu
- Gyeongju Private Taxi Tour
- Visit Gyeongju in 1 Day from Seoul (Round-trip KTX tickets included)
2. Gayasan National Park
Located in the south-central region of Korea, Gayasan National Park is definitely a sight to behold. With the Sobaek Mountain range running through it, this park is a popular destination for hikers all year round. Gayasan National Park, too, houses a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Haeinsa Temple, which is one of the most prominent Buddhist temples in Korea. Thus, it attracts large crowds, especially during the Autumn season as temperatures go down and people gather to catch a breath of fresh air amongst the golden flora. So be sure to visit the Gayasan National Park near the end of October when foliage is at its peak!
3. Jirisan National Park
Jirisan, which is located within Jirisan National Park, reaches up to 1,915m making it the second-tallest mountain in Korea, right after Jeju Island’s Hallasan. Yet, it holds another two incredible records! Not only is it the oldest and largest National Park in Korea, but also the largest, spreading across 3 whole provinces in the South. What’s more, it holds true to its reputation, flaunting one of the most breathtaking views you’ll probably ever see. Be one of 3 million visitors who visit Jirisan National Park each year and catch a glimpse of the picturesque view of amber-tinged maple trees.
4. Juwangsan National Park
Next on the list is Juwangsan National Park. Characterized by its deep valleys and steep cliffs, Juwangsan was formed through the continuous accumulation of volcanic ash. Consequently, it is notorious for being one of the rockiest mountains in Korea thus, a crowd-pleaser amongst adventurous hikers. However, don’t be discouraged by this as Juwangsan offers many other attractive sights. From the quaint Daejeonsa Temple to cascading waterfalls and a wide variety of flora and fauna, imagine how much more exquisite the view will be with the crimson tint of foliage!
5. Naejangsan National Park
Naejangsan National Park, famous for its ‘baby maple leaves’, has continued to maintain its top position as one of the go-to Autumn destinations for over 500 years. As soon as arrive, you’ll be greeted by dozens of maple trees lining the sides of the road, forming a beautiful crimson archway known as the Maple Tunnel. Within the park lie many other splendid sites to see, from cascading waterfalls to majestic temples. The picturesque view of the Uhwajeong Pavilion against the grand backdrop of nature is definitely a sight to see. So, don’t forget to catch the Autumn feels at Naejangsan National Park this year!
Find out more about Naejangsan National Park on our other blog post here!
- Join Autumn/Fall Foliage 1 Day Tour to Naejangsan National Park from Busan
- Book Naejangsan National Park Autumn/Fall Foliage Tour from Seoul/Busan
6. Palgongsan Natural Park
Palgongsan Natural Park is no stranger when it comes to Autumn foliage. As one of the centers of Buddhist culture, it is most notable for the Gatbawi (Stone Hat) Buddha, one of Korea’s national treasures, and the Donghwasa Temple located on its grounds. Also, you’ll get the opportunity to feast your eyes on the grandiose red and yellow-speckled scene that unfolds before your very feet with an aerial view from the cable cars there. The foliage here usually reaches peak level around the end of October, so don’t forget to plan your schedule before visiting Palgongsan Natural Park!
7. Yeongnam Alps
Yeongnam Alps is a range of nine 1,000-meter-tall mountains that spread across five cities. Explore the Alps of Korea in Miryang by getting on the longest gondola in Korea! You can witness a sweeping outlook of the Yeongnam Alps and its vibrant autumn hues. Also, stop by Pyochungsa Temple, a historically significant temple at Jaeyaksan Mountain, and Eoreumgol Valley, regarded as one of the four mysteries of Miryang due to its cold breeze in summer and warm breeze in winter.
Check out Trazy’s best-picked autumn/fall foliage tours, which you can book early and plan your trip ahead!
- Naejangsan Mountain & Jeonju Hanok Village 1 Day Tour – from Seoul
- Korea Autumn Foliage 1 Day Tour to Mountains & National Parks from Seoul
- Korea Autumn/Fall Foliage 1 Day Tour (Seoul ↔ Vicinities)
- Korea Autumn/Fall Foliage 1 Day Tour (Busan ↔ Vicinities)
- Hwadam Botanic Garden & Namhansanseong Fortress Tour – from Seoul
- Alpaca World + Hoengseong Luge + Museum SAN Tour – from Seoul
- Bongpyeong Buckwheat Flower Festival & Pyeongchang Zinnia Festival Tour – from Seoul
- Mt. Gamaksan + Eunpyeong Hanok Village + Haneul Park – from Seoul
- Seoul Forest + Incheon Grand Park + Haneul Park – from Seoul
- Jeonju Hanok Village & Mt. Jangtaesan/Daedunsan Fall/Winter Tour – from Seoul
Also, check out our other blog posts on Autumn foliage:
- An Ultimate Guide to Autumn in Korea: Fall Foliage Forecast
- Autumn/Fall Foliage Day Trips from Seoul – A to Z
- Top 5 Fall Foliage Trails in South Korea You Must Visit
Check out the best ways to explore Korea this autumn:
- Express Bus Ticket Reservation: Seoul ↔ Busan/Daegu/Gyeongju/Jeonju/Gwangju/Sokcho/Gangneung
- Korail Pass (KR Pass): Unlimited KTX & Train Rides
- Intercity Private Van Transfer: Incheon/ Gimpo Airport/ Seoul → Gapyeong/ Chuncheon/ Gangneung/ Sokcho/ Suwon/ Jeonju
Book all the fun things to do in Busan:
- Sea Life Busan Aquarium Discount Ticket
- Busan City Tour Bus Discount Ticket
- Busan 1 Day Bus Tour from Busan (+ Yacht Tour/Sky Capsule option)
- Busan Instagram spots 1 Day Small Group Tour
- Busan Premium 1 Day Tour with Haeundae Sky Capsule & Beach Train
- Visit Busan in 1 Day from Seoul (Round-trip KTX tickets included)
- Busan Marine Yacht Tour
For more ideas on your Autumn trip to Korea, make sure you visit Trazy.com, Korea’s #1 Travel Shop!