“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharal Nehru
Dancing snowflakes above Korean traditional palaces, the white rolling hills of snow, and the snow-capped mountains. Yes, this beautiful winter wonderland we’re speaking of is South Korea.
Here are 10 inspiring photos that’ll make you yearn to travel to South Korea this winter.
1. Winter sunset over the snow-covered temple in Korea
Despite the fast-paced environment and great advancements in technology, Korea has managed to maintain the balance between rapid urbanization and cultural traditions. That’s why you’ll be able to find hundreds of these centuries-old Buddhist architectures nestled up in the mountains.
- Seoraksan National Park & Naksansa Temple 1 Day Tour – from Seoul
- Seoraksan National Park Private Tour (+ Nami Island/Naksansa Temple/Daegwallyeong Sheep Farm & more) – from Seoul
- DMZ & Ganghwa Island 1 Day Tour – from Seoul
- Buyeo & Gongju 1 Day Private Tour – from Seoul
- New Year Sunrise Tour: Ulsan Ganjeolgot & Gyeongju 1 Day Tour – from Busan (Jan 1)
2. Winter memories at Cheongyang Alps Village & Chilgapsan Ice Fountain Festival
Cheongyang Alps Village was named after its beautiful and clean lake and profound mountain scenery. During the winter season, the village is blanketed in snow, offering visitors the delightful experience of sledding down snowy hills. Take breathtaking pictures in front of gigantic icicles and ice sculptures!
- Strawberry Picking + Cheongyang Alps Village (+ Snow Sledding option) 1 Day Tour – from Seoul (Jan 2~Feb 29)
Every winter, the Chilgapsan Ice Fountain Festival takes place at the magical Alps Village in Cheongyang. You’ll feel like you’ve stepped into a frozen kingdom with massive ice fountains, ice sculptures, igloos, and more! It’s a great way to experience the winter atmosphere and snowy day activities to the fullest.
- Chilgapsan Ice Fountain Festival at Cheongyang Alps Village (+ Winter Activities/Strawberry Picking – from Seoul (Dec 23~Feb 29)
3. A special winter fun day at Eobi Ice Valley
Eobi Ice Valley is a new rising tourist destination known for its magnificent frozen waterfall in Gapyeong. You can easily go there from Seoul in a day and stop by nearby popular destinations, such as Nami Island, Garden of Morning Calm, and Gangchon Rail Bike.
- Strawberry Picking + Nami Island + Eobi Ice Valley (+ Garden of Morning Calm/Gangchon Rail Bike/Petite France) – from Seoul (Dec 22~Mar 4)
- Strawberry Picking + Winter Sled/Nami Island + Eobi Ice Valley 1 Day Tour – from Seoul (Dec 18~Feb 28)
- Nami Island + Eobi Ice Valley + Garden of Morning Calm (+ Rail Bike/Petite France/Alpaca World) – from Seoul (Dec 22~Mar 4)
- Nami Island + Eobi Ice Valley + Rail Bike/Petite France/Alpaca World 1 Day Tour – from Seoul (Dec 22~Feb 29)
4. A winter fairytale at Wondae-ri Birch Forest
Step into a winter fairytale at Wondae-ri Birch Forest and In-je Maebawi Icewall! On this tour, you will hike along a scenic hiking course and immerse in the tranquil forest with the tall white bark birch trees rising magnificently towards the blue sky.
5. Winter wonderland in Mt. Deogyusan
A popular destination for its picturesque views and hidden temples, Mt Deokgyusan transforms into a magical winter wonderland during the Winter. Ride the gondola up to Seolchunbong, the second-highest peak there, or hike up the mountains to enjoy the stunning scenery unfolding before your very eyes.
6. Nami Island completely covered with snow
Take a stroll down Metasequoia Lane lined on both sides with these impressive deciduous trees donned in crystalline white snow. Ever since it was featured in the hit K-drama ‘Winter Sonata’, Nami Island has become a go-to destination in the Winter. Star in your own romantic K-drama at Nami Island!
- Nami Island + Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort + Garden of Morning Calm 1 Day Tour
- Elysian Ski Resort + Alpaca World + Nami Island (+ Garden of Morning Calm) 1 Day Tour
- Nami Island & Vivaldi Park Ski Resort 1 Day Shuttle Bus Package
- Nami Island & Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort 1 Day Package
- Gapyeong Private Tour from/to Vivaldi Park or Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort
- Nami Island/Alpaca World/Hwacheon Ice Fishing Tour from Vivaldi Park Ski Resort
7. The calm, serene hills of Pyeongchang
Pyeongchang has been one of the most well-known destinations in Gangwon-do ever since the Winter Olympics. However, Pyeongchang has so much more to offer its guests in the Winter than just snow-topped hills – one of them being the Pyeongchang Trout Ice Fishing Festival. Already into its 14th year running, the Pyeongchang Trout Ice Fishing Festival (December 30th, 2022~January 29th, 2023) will definitely be a treat for the whole family with ice skating, bobsleigh riding, and even barehand fishing!
7. The fantastic view from above Yongpyong Ski Resort
You can’t have Winter in Korea without its awesome resorts. Make the most out of Winter in Korea by going to Yongpyong Ski Resort, one of the best ski resorts in Korea. With an average annual snowfall of about 250mm, many flock to Yongpyong Ski Resort to get the best skiing/snowboarding experience!
Find out more about Yongpyong Ski Resort here.
- 2D1N Ski/Snowboard Tour: Yongpyong Ski Resort
- 3D2N/4D3N Yongpyong Ski Resort Overnight Package
- Yongpyong Ski Resort Room Reservation
- Private Ski/Snowboard Lesson: Yongpyong Ski Resort
- Snow Sled Pass: Yongpyong Ski Resort
- Balwangsan Cable Car & Skywalk at Yongpyong Ski Resort
8. Winter in Hangyeryeong, Seoraksan National Park
Seoraksan National Park is most likely on everyone’s must-visit list. Home to the third-highest mountain in Korea, it is an all-time favorite destination for many hikers throughout the four seasons. Blessed with blankets of snow and exquisite views of Nature, spending a day at Seoraksan during the Winter will definitely be an unforgettable experience!
- Seoraksan National Park & Nami Island 1 Day Tour
- Nami Island + Seoraksan + Garden of Morning Calm 1 Day Tour
- Seoraksan + Alpaca World + Nami Island 1 Day Tour
9. Enjoying the Hwacheon Sancheoneo Ice Festival
The Hwacheon Sancheoneo Ice Festival is another one of Korea’s go-to Winter festivals. Selected as one of the 7 Winter Wonders of the World by CNN, the festival has a lot to offer everyone from those looking for an action-packed experience to even those looking to chill. Who needs fishing rods anymore when you can go barehand fishing instead?
Read more about the Hwacheon Sancheoneo Ice Festival here.
- Hwacheon Sancheoneo Ice Festival: Shuttle Bus Package (Jan 6~28)
- Nami Island/Alpaca World/Hwacheon Ice Fishing Tour from Vivaldi Park Ski Resort
10. High atop a hill, a sheep farm in Daegwallyeong
This picturesque view of hills blanketed in a cover of white snow with a sheep farm perched just on top is certainly a sight to see. Take a peaceful walk around the Daegwallyeong Sheep Farm and take in the grandiose scenery of Nature unfolding before your very eyes. Even get the chance to feed the cute fluffy sheep on the farm and enjoy their company!
11. A winter hiking trail in Mt Halla, Jeju Island
Mt Halla is, of course, one of the more prominent destinations to visit in Jeju Island, especially in Winter. Though a hike up this sky-piercing snowy mountain should definitely be on your bucket list, Jeju Island offers many more sights and attractions to see and visit. A stroll through Camellia Hill, with the Queen of Winter Flowers blossoming in crimson pink, is certainly going to be an Instagram-worthy experience!
Find out more about Jeju Island here.
- Car Rental in Jeju Island (from Jeju Int’l Airport) with Full Coverage Insurance
- Hire a Taxi with a Driver in Jeju – Jeju Taxi Tour
- Jeju 1 Day Bus Tour Package (East/West/South)
- Jeju Island Tour with Private Driver & Van
- Jeju Island UNESCO 1 Day Small Group Tour (+ Lunch)
- Visit Jeju Island in 1 Day from Seoul
- Jeju 3D2N/4D3N Hotel + Taxi/Van Tour Package
12. Take a walk in the Garden of Morning Calm
The Garden of Morning Calm is an all-time favorite destination for many throughout the year. From its beautiful cherry blossoms in Spring to the crimson yellow leaves in Autumn, this garden is somewhat of a utopia. What’s more, with Winter comes its own charms, especially with the Garden of Morning Calm Lighting Festival starting in December. Take a walk through the garden lit in an array of colorful, dazzling lights!
- Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort & Garden of Morning Calm Light Festival 1 Day Tour
- Strawberry Picking + Elysian Ski Resort + Nami Island + Garden of Morning Calm 1 Day Tour
- Nami Island & Garden of Morning Calm 1 Day Tour
- Nami Island + Gangchon Rail Bike + Garden of Morning Calm 1 Day Tour
- Nami Island + Petite France + Italian Village + Garden of Morning Calm Tour
- Nami Island + Garden of Morning Calm + Strawberry Picking Tour
- Nami Island + Petite France + Italian Village + Gapyeong Rail Bike + Garden of Morning Calm Tour
Did you enjoy the photos? Now, if you want to visit South Korea, this is the perfect time for you.
Check out Trazy.com, Korea’s #1 Travel Shop to check out lots of fun and exciting things to do in Korea and places to visit!
- Yong Pyong Resort Official Website
- Gangwon Province Official Website
- Daegwallyeong Sheep Ranch Official Website